Occupants in the 100 block of North La Peer Drive in Beverly Hills were evacuated at approximately 2 p.m. on Jan. 11 after a gas leak occurred at a construction site.
A worker for a private contractor accidentally ruptured a gas line and people were evacuated out of an abundance of caution, Southern California Gas Company spokesman Miguel Lopez-Najera said. Crews shut off the leaking gas and made permanent repairs.
The evacuation also included occupants of buildings on Clifton Way between La Peer and Swall drives. The leak did not affect natural gas service to customers in the area, Miguel Lopez-Najera added, and the evacuation ended shortly after 4 p.m. The city of Beverly Hills notified residents via social media.
Residents, business owners and private contractors are asked to call 811 to check with the Southern California Gas Company about underground gas lines before digging, whether in the garden or at a construction site. For information, visit socalgas.com.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.