Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer announced on Sept. 5 that a national coalition of civil rights organizations and local governments including Los Angeles has secured a temporary restraining order in a lawsuit against the Trump administration over its decision to cut the timeline for the 2020 U.S. Census. The order requires the Trump administration to halt implementation of its plan to prematurely cut off census outreach.
“The court’s ruling was absolutely essential,” Feuer said. “It puts a firm stop to the Trump administration’s efforts to prematurely curtail census outreach, efforts that would lead to an undercount with devastating consequences for every Los Angeles resident. A full census count, void of political interference, is vital if Angelenos are to receive our fair share of federal resources and political representation.”
Feuer and the national coalition sued the Trump administration last month over its decision to reduce the 8.5-month data collection and processing period to a 4.5-month period. Feuer said reducing the time would lead to an undercount of the city’s population.
The cities of Los Angeles, Salinas and San Jose, and King County, Washington and Harris County, Texas, partnered with Black Alliance for Just Immigration, the National Urban League, League of Women Voters and Harris County Court Commissioners Rodney Ellis and Adrian Garcia in filing the lawsuit.
For information, visit lacityattorney.org.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.