A $50,000 reward is available for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of a male suspect who shot and killed a victim last summer on South Van Ness Avenue.
Police announced the reward last week after exhausting all leads, said Lt. John Radtke, with the Los Angeles Police Department’s West Bureau Homicide Unit.
The murder occurred on July 20 at approximately 12:40 a.m. in the 1600 block of South Van Ness Avenue. Olympic Division officers found the male victim, Lucio Garcia, 56, in a car suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Radtke said Garcia was parking a vehicle on Van Ness Avenue and was accompanied by his 26-year-old daughter and two grandchildren under 4 years old.
“A male gunman approached on the passenger side and fired numerous shots, striking the driver and killing him,” Radtke said. “His daughter suffered a graze wound to the head. The grandchildren were not injured.”
The victim lived nearby and had no gang affiliation, Radtke added. The neighborhood is not known for problems, and the motive remains unknown.
“We have no idea, it’s a complete whodunit,” Radtke said. “There is nothing specific going on over there, no active [gang] feuds. Mr. Garcia was well liked by neighbors. He was a grandfather who had been living in the neighborhood for 10 years.”
The suspect is black, approximately 20 to 25 years old and was wearing a white T-shirt. Anyone with information about the murder is urged to call detectives with the West Bureau Homicide Unit at (213)382-9470. During weekends and off-hours, call the LAPD’s hotline at (877)LAPD247.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.