The future of dozens of residents in the controversial Sunset and Gordon building in Hollywood remains in limbo after the Los Angeles Board of Building and Safety Commissioners on Tuesday upheld an order that the building must be vacated.
The commission voted 5-0 that the department of building and safety did not abuse its discretion last month in invalidating occupancy permits for the 22-story high-rise at Sunset Boulevard and Gordon Street. The occupancy permits were rescinded because of an ongoing legal challenge by the La Mirada Avenue Neighborhood Association over the project, which was built by CIM Group.
Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety spokesman Luke Zamperini said the commission also voted to give CIM Group 30 days to comply with the order to vacate the building. A judge upheld the order to vacate on Wednesday.
The La Mirada Avenue Neighborhood Association filed a lawsuit three years ago contending CIM Group failed to comply with a requirement to preserve portions of the façade of the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant formerly at the site. A judge sided with the association last October, and invalidated the project’s construction permits. However, the 299-unit building was already built. The ruling was appealed, and legal proceedings continue.
Zamperini said approximately one month ago, the department was notified that portions of the building were being used as a hotel, and an order was issued to the property owner stating that unpermitted hotel operations must cease at the site.
“They’ve got 30 days to get the people out, and if not, we will turn it over the city attorney’s office,” Zamperini said.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.