A man and a woman who were part of a so-called “party crew” that attacked and robbed transit passengers on Metro trains in Los Angeles entered no contest pleas on Jan. 12 and were immediately sentenced, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s has announced.
The pair were among seven defendants charged in three separate cases involving a group comprised of approximately 100 suspected members of a group that called itself “Tag Team”.
Defendant Johnshenae Smith, 22, pleaded no contest to one count each of first-degree and second-degree robbery, and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Defendant Lelon Flowers, 22, pleaded to one count of second-degree robbery and admitted to a special allegation that he used a deadly weapon — a hammer. Flowers received a three-year prison term.
Deputy District Attorney Casey Higgins said the group targeted passengers on Metro trains for robberies. Smith and Flowers were part of a group who assaulted a man in his 20s at a train station last Jan. 20. Smith pushed the man to the ground and Flowers struck the victim twice with a hammer, prosecutors said. The victim’s cell phone and wallet were stolen.
Approximately 20 minutes later, the group attacked a woman, also in her 20s, on a Red Line train and stole a gold and diamond necklace, according to prosecutors. Three other defendants previously pleaded no contest to one count of robbery and were sentenced to a year in county jail and placed on probation for five years.
Two other suspects also pleaded no contest to a robbery charge. They were identified as QMariae Brackens, 19, who was sentenced in October to a year in county jail and placed on probation for five years, and Shabritney Ammons, 20, who was sentenced in October to more than eight months in jail and placed on probation for five years.
The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Transit Services Bureau.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.