Investigators have determined that a man who was struck by a Red Line subway train on Jan. 31 at the Hollywood/Vine station intentionally jumped in front of the train.
Ramon Montenegro, a spokesman from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Transit Services Bureau, said the incident has been ruled an attempted suicide. The unidentified victim suffered critical injuries to his back and arms, but survived. He reportedly jumped from the platform at approximately 4:45 p.m. in front of a northbound subway train. The victim’s body was pushed into a small space between the train and the platform. He was transported by paramedics to Los Angeles County USC Medical Center for treatment.
The man sufficiently recovered, and was never interviewed by detectives. Montenegro said video surveillance cameras in the station recorded the incident, however, and detectives knew from the beginning that the man was not pushed. He said the suspect can be seen jumping from the platform, and added that a suicide note had been discovered.
Montenegro added that investigators went to the hospital late last week to interview the man, and were surprised to learn that he had voluntarily left the hospital. Police checked the name the man had given, and learned it was a fake name. He said police are still hoping to locate him, but have closed the case unless new evidence surfaces.
“They have tried every avenue to locate him, and none of the information he provided panned out,” Montenegro said. “He wasn’t believed to have committed a crime, so we didn’t put a hold on him. Obviously, the hospital was made aware of what happened, but there is often little they can do if someone decides on their own to leave. [The case is] now closed from our standpoint.”
Anyone with additional information is asked to call investigators with the Sheriff’s Transit services Bureau at (323)563-5000.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.