A suspect accused of scamming an 85-year-old motorist by falsely claiming that the elderly victim had been involved in a traffic collision, and then demanding thousands of dollars in compensation, has pleaded not guilty to two counts each of first-degree burglary and theft from an elder, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has announced.
Deputy District Attorney John Pomeroy, of the Elder Abuse Section, said defendant David Stevens, 42, of Los Angeles, also faces one count each of attempted first-degree burglary, person present and false imprisonment of an elder.
Commissioner Mitchell Block ordered Stevens remanded into the custody of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and set the defendant’s bail at $1.25 million. Stevens returns to court on Feb. 11 in Department 120 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Van Nuys Branch, for a preliminary hearing.
The prosecutor said the alleged offenses pertain to one victim and occurred in the San Fernando Valley between Oct. 25 and Jan. 6. Authorities believe Stevens may have targeted additional victims, including people living or driving in the Mid-City area.
In the case for which he is charged, the defendant allegedly told the elderly man there had been a traffic collision and the victim needed to pay him thousands of dollars in compensation.
Anyone with further information, or who may have been a victim or witness, is urged to call Det. Marjan Mobasser at (818)374-0053.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.