A suspect who allegedly shot a victim at the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and La Brea Avenue on Feb. 6 over a seat on a bus and then engaged police in a standoff for more than two hours before surrendering to a S.W.A.T. team has been arraigned for attempted murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Det. Sonny Garcia, with the Los Angeles Police Department’s Wilshire Division, identified the suspect as Charles Edward Clark, 54. Clark was described as a transient, but Garcia said he has a previous address in San Bernardino. The suspect pleaded not guilty to the two felony counts and remains in custody with bail set at $1.5 million.
Garcia said Clark allegedly shot the victim in the face at a bus stop near the corner of Wilshire and La Brea after the suspect and victim got into an argument over a vacant seat while they were riding a bus.
“There was apparently an argument over an available seat, but no physical confrontation occurred,” Garcia added. “As soon as they got off the bus, words were exchanged and at that point, the suspect pointed a handgun at the victim and shot him in the face.”
Garcia said the victim underwent surgery and is receiving additional treatment for a gunshot wound to the jaw. He is currently recovering. The detective did not know why or how long Clark had been it the local area.
Clark surrendered to S.W.A.T. officers around 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 6 near the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Mansfield Avenue. Officers initially tried to subdue him using beanbag rounds fired from a shotgun, but Clark ran around the corner of hid in a doorway at the Beverly Hills BMW dealership. The S.W.A.T. team arrived and pulled an armored vehicle up to the doorway. Clark surrendered after an hour-long standoff with S.W.A.T. without further incident. Garcia said the handgun allegedly used in the shooting was recovered.
“We were glad that it ended the way it did,” Garcia added.
Shiara Davila-Morales, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, said Clark has prior convictions in 1995 and 2000 for drug possession. The defendant is scheduled to return to court on Feb. 22 for a preliminary hearing.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.