West Hollywood Sheriff’s officials arrested a 20-year-old suspect at his home in East Los Angeles on Dec. 11 for allegedly committing four street robberies in West Hollywood during the first two weeks of December.
Luis Alberto Alonso was taken into custody in the 2100 block of Cambridge Street after investigators with the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station’s Robbery Suppression Team received information that implicated the suspect. Lt. Lawrence Del Mese, with the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station, said he could not divulge information about how Alonso was identified because of the ongoing investigation, but said officials are also searching for a second suspect who was involved in the robberies. The arrest was the latest in separate robbery sprees that have occurred in West Hollywood since the beginning of November.
Two of the robberies allegedly attributed to Alonso occurred on Dec. 5, while two others occurred on Dec. 11. The first incident occurred around 12:30 a.m. in the 500 block of Croft Avenue. Two suspects allegedly approached a victim on foot and demanded personal property. One of the suspects was armed with a handgun, according to Del Mese.
The second incident occurred around five minutes later when the same two suspects robbed a victim in the 9035 block of Rangley Avenue. The suspects again approached on foot and robbed the victim at gunpoint.
Two additional robberies occurred on Dec. 11 within 15 minutes of each other. At 12:05am, a victim was robbed at gunpoint by two men in the 1200 block of Laurel Avenue. A second victim was robbed at 12:20 a.m. in the 1000 block of Kings Rd. Officials linked those two incidents with the previous robberies based on the suspects’ method of operation. Del Mese said one of the victims identified Alonso as a suspect, and he was taken into custody later that day at his residence. Officials located some of the property stolen during the robberies, as well as a pellet gun that is believed to be the weapon used.
Del Mese said the suspects stole cellular phones and wallets from the victims. He added that he did not know why the suspects were targeting victims in West Hollywood, other than the incidents appear to be crimes of opportunity, and that street robberies often increase around the holidays.
The incidents were unrelated that occurred in West Hollywood last month.
Two juvenile suspects were arrested on Nov. 27 and Dec. 2 for six street robberies that occurred in West Hollywood in November. A third juvenile suspect has been identified and is still being sought for those incidents, Del Mese said. In addition, a 41-year-old suspect was arrested on Nov. 18 shortly after committing a robbery in the 900 block of Phyllis Avenue. That suspect has also been charged with a street robbery on Nov. 13 in the 900 block of Ogden Drive.
The second suspect being sought in the latest robbery spree was only identified as being a Hispanic man.
Del Mese said Alonso is believed to be the main suspect. He has been charged with four counts of robbery, and remains in custody.
Anyone with information about the robberies is asked to contact Det. Greg Bogani, with the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station, at (310)855-8850.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.